Bachelor of Arts in Sustainability Management
Sustainability management is an innovative field at the intersection of business and environmental studies. Virginia Wesleyan University’s online sustainability degree provides a multidisciplinary education that combines core business subjects with an emphasis on sustainable practices. It prepares you to lead the way in helping organizations craft greener, more ethical strategies. Coursework for the sustainability degree program draws on topics from a wide variety of subject areas including economics, management, policy analysis and more, so you can succeed in the workplace.
Our online sustainability degree emphasizes real-world skill development along with flexibility, allowing you to meet your goals and complete your degree on your schedule. Our instructors have years of relevant experience, so you gain the knowledge you need to excel after graduation. Whether you choose to pursue corporate sustainability, environmental consulting or another discipline, this business sustainability degree program prepares you for a career that makes a difference.
General Education is the component of the degree that all students share. The requirements include both a scholarly core experience and a broad array of courses from across the university. The core provides students a common sequence of courses that form a foundation for their education and that will serve them throughout their lives. The breadth requirement ensures a well-rounded education.
The major is a component of the degree that a student chooses: a major requires students to take a deep dive into the complexities of knowledge within a particular area of inquiry and to understand the methods and tenets of a discipline or interdisciplinary field. A major consists of a guided program that builds from gateway or intermediate courses to at least five advanced courses.
- MBE 100 - Introduction to Economics
- MBE 207 - Economics and the Environment
- ENVS 106 - Humans, the Environment, and Sustainability OR EES 133 - Environmental Geology
- MBE 206 - Sustainability Accounting (2 credits)
- MBE 222 - Introduction to Financial Management (2 credits)
- MATH 210 - Introductory Statistics
- MBE 301 - Principles of Management
- PHIL/ENVS 304 - Environmental Ethics
- EES 320 - Energy and the Environment
- POLS/ENVS 326 - Environmental Policy Analysis
- MBE 350 - Supply Chain Management and Logistics
- ENVS 420 - Topics in Sustainability
- ENVS 470 - Internship in Environmental Studies
One of the following:
- EES 300 - Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- EES 410 - Physical Hydrology
- MBE 332 - Economic Development
- MBE 333 - International Business
Addressing environmental concerns is an emerging trend in the business world. With your VWU degree, you can help companies and organizations balance their impact on the natural world.
Your VWU education prepares you to be an expert consultant for businesses that want to adopt sustainable practices. You’ll have the skills to work on a contractual basis to help organizations address environmental issues.
If you choose to continue your education after graduation, the foundational skills you learn in this VWU degree program can prepare you for a meaningful career in environmental law. You’ll work to protect the planet and focus on legal issues related to conservation, environmental impact and more.
Why VWU Online
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a Yellow Ribbon school, and we have a dedicated Veterans Service Team.
Admission decisions are made on the basis of a review of the applicant's undergraduate transcript. No SAT, ACT, or GMAT required!
How to Apply
- Complete our online application.
- Applicants who have not yet completed 12 semester hours of college work must submit an official high school transcript and SAT/ACT score, and an official college transcript from all colleges and universities previously attended. Applicants who have not taken an SAT or ACT may be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of high school coursework. Applicants who are not high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of GED test results.
- Applicants who have successfully completed 12 or more semester hours of college work must submit official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Generally, individuals transferring to Virginia Wesleyan must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
There may be financial aid options available to you when you apply for an online program at Virginia Wesleyan University.