Accelerated Online MBA Overview
You don’t need a business degree to pursue a Master of Business Administration. Our MBA program is designed to provide leadership skills and give you the foundation to succeed in any field, regardless of your background.
There is high demand for well-rounded leaders who can bring both business and leadership skills to the table. The MBA prepares professionals for career enhancement and personal development in the high-tech, 21st-century global marketplace. It seeks to develop leaders committed to creating sustainable, social, environmental, and economic value through effective and responsive business practices.
You’ll engage with highly qualified faculty on your schedule and experience an accelerated online MBA with the rigor and personal attention you need to get the most out of your education. This program also enables you to add a concentration that aligns with your career goals. Choose from eight concentration options to customize your studies: accounting, finance, health care management, human resource management, nonprofit leadership, project management, sport leadership, or supply chain management.
Upon graduation, you’ll have the communication and teamwork skills necessary to compete globally, a firm understanding of advanced business concepts, knowledge of relevant emerging business trends, and key leadership skills necessary for managerial roles.
Our MBA program is offered in a participative online learning environment. The 10-course program can be completed in as little as 12 months, and students may enroll full-time or part-time.
At Virginia Wesleyan University, discover one of the region’s most affordable online MBA programs and master your future in business and leadership.
- Next Start Date:August 23, 2023
- Total Degree Credit Hours:30
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 12 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$499
- Major Credit Hours:30
Who Is Our Online MBA For?
- You’re ready to earn an affordable and advanced credential in just one year.
- You’re an innovator who wants to compete in a global marketplace.
- You like the idea of entrepreneurship and being your own boss.
- You already have a career, but you’re looking to grow professionally.
Dr. Nadia Nafar, Associate Professor of Management, Business and Economics/Assistant Dean of Global Campus – “The MBA program at Virginia Wesleyan University enables students to advance in their careers and increase their earning potential. The program is rigorous, flexible, and affordable. Qualified faculty with tremendous professional and academic experience designed – and teach – the MBA courses. Students learn using a hands-on approach that allows them to develop their leadership and decision-making skills. VWU’s MBA program is flexible. We understand that students juggle many responsibilities, such as work and family. This is why all our courses are offered online, and we allow different entry points to the program throughout the year. Students can finish their MBA program in one year or at their own pace. We believe that quality education should be accessible. For this reason, the MBA program at VWU is one of the most affordable programs in the region. We want to provide quality, rigorous education that is flexible, affordable, and accessible to all students.”
Sarah Guzzo, Current Student – Director of Student Activities – “Even though this program is online, I knew Virginia Wesleyan was the right place to pursue an online program while working full time. The professors are part of a small, close-knit community who care for one another. I knew that I would be a person to each professor, and they would provide valuable support and feedback, which can be difficult to do in an online format.”
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Your online MBA can empower you to pursue a number of career paths.
Proper accounting is essential to the success of any business. By pursuing the accounting concentration with your MBA from VWU, you'll graduate with the skills to prepare financial statements, perform audits, and carry out other necessary accounting tasks.
Most companies need smart, skilled people to manage the organization’s operational needs, like working with vendors or making supply chain decisions. With the variety of skills you learn from VWU, you’ll have what it takes to step into an operational leadership role.
Managing a business's money is a complex, exacting job, but with your VWU degree, you are prepared to meet the challenge. Take charge of the organization’s finances and manage its financial strategy with the skills you learn from your MBA.
Health Services Management
Hospitals increasingly rely on people with top-notch business skills to ensure they stay in the black so that they can provide quality patient care for as many people as possible. The advanced management skills VWU’s MBA program teaches can help you thrive in this vital industry.
Human Resource Management
HR professionals work closely with company leadership to directly impact the employee experience. With advanced communication, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills gained from VWU's MBA program, you'll be poised to become a leader in human resource management.
If the idea of working for yourself and carving out your niche in the fast-paced business world appeals to you, you might be an entrepreneur in the making. Use the skills you learn from VWU to kick-start a business venture and propel it to success.
The information age is evolving at an astonishing pace. VWU’s MBA can prepare you to develop and execute content management strategies that will stand out and attract target audiences in an information-saturated world.
With the business expertise you'll gain from VWU's MBA combined with an optional concentration in sport leadership, you can make meaningful contributions to the exciting world of sports. As a leader in sport management, you'll work with a variety of professionals to help grow the sports and recreation industry.
To be considered for admission to the MBA program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Provide official academic transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended. If more than one institution has been attended, the cumulative GPA for all coursework attempted must be 2.7 or higher. In addition, the GPA earned at the institution at which the bachelor’s degree was awarded must be 2.7 or higher.
- Have completed Statistics, Financial Accounting, and Microeconomics or Macroeconomics. (Individuals missing one or more prerequisite are encouraged to speak with an enrollment counselor to explore their options for enrollment.)
Tuition Cost & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online MBA programs in the region, at only $499 per credit hour. Financing options are available for those who qualify.
Members of the Virginia Beach Police Department (VBPD) will also receive $150 reduction in cost per credit hour.
Course Information Ten courses are needed for completion of the MBA program, following the specified tracks. Students who choose to add a concentration will complete an additional three courses. Each course is three credit hours.
- Core Requirements:
- MBE 500 - Accounting Information and Management Decisions
- MBE 510 - Operations Management and Supply Chain Management
- MBE 520 - Ethical Management in a Global Environment
- MBE 530 - Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, and Control
- MBE 540 - Managerial Economic Analysis
- MBE 550 - Managerial Finance
- MBE 561 - Applied Leadership Theory
- MBE 570 - Organizational Psychology and Behavior
- MBE 581 - Negotiations
- MBE 590 - Advanced Strategy and Policy Integration
- Eight Track Options: You may choose one of the tracks below.
- Accounting Concentration (choose three):
- BA 771 - Advanced Industrial Accounting I
- BA 772 - Advanced Industrial Accounting II
- BA 785 - Special Topics and Issues
- BA 789 - Corporate Financial Management
- BA 796 - Advanced Public Accounting I
- BA 797 - Advanced Public Accounting II
- BA 798 - Advanced Public Accounting III
- Finance Concentration (choose three):
- BA 735 - International Trade and Finance
- BA 765 - Financial Decision Making
- BA 786 - Cash Management and Investments
- BA 787 - Capital Budgeting and Risk Analysis
- BA 788 - Mergers and Acquisitions
- BA 789 - Corporate Financial Management
- Health Care Management Concentration:
- BA 701 - Leadership for Healthcare Professionals
- BA 702 - Healthcare Management I
- BA 703 - Healthcare Management II
- Human Resource Concentration:
- BA 775 - Human Resources Management
- BA 776 - Human Resources Strategy and Planning
- BA 784 - Talent Development and Performance Management
- Nonprofit Leadership Concentration:
- LO 532 - Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations
- LO 730 - Foundations of Nonprofit Leadership
- LO 731 - Role of Nonprofit Organizations in Public Policy
- Project Management Concentration:
- BA 781 - Fundamentals of Project Management
- BA 782 - Managing the Project Team
- BA 794 - Project Risk Management
- Sport Leadership Concentration:
- LO 740 - Contemporary Issues in Sport
- LO 741 - Ethical Leadership in Sport
- LO 742 - Foundations of Sport Leadership
- Supply Chain Management Concentration:
- BA 735 - International Trade and Finance
- BA 761 - Supply Chain Operations and Management
- BA 762 - Supply Chain Procurement
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here's what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online MBA. You’ll spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they’re available to answer your questions, help you through challenging tasks, and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you’re learning from home doesn’t mean you’re on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, and masters degrees. Virginia Wesleyan University also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Virginia Wesleyan University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).