ONLINE MASTER OF EDUCATION IN TEACHER LEADERSHIP OVERVIEW
The need for new education professionals is on the rise in the United States. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the education field is expected to expand by 5 percent through 2029. At this rate, more than 441,000 new positions for education professionals and leaders will be created by the end of the decade.
Answer the call for new educational leadership with the online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program from Virginia Wesleyan University. With a reputation for outstanding academic programs available on campus, Virginia Wesleyan University now offers the Master’s in Teacher Leadership online through a virtual and interactive learning platform that allows you to balance your education with your full-time personal schedule. As an online student, you’ll receive the quality curriculum Virginia Wesleyan University is known for, plus the flexibility to learn at your pace as you complete your degree in as little as 16 months.
The online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership degree is designed for licensed teachers who are passionate about teaching and improving their students’ learning experience. While focusing on effective education strategies and academic research, courses required for the program offer opportunities to participate in reflective and responsive activities by reflecting on current teaching practices. Courses are taught by full-time department faculty and highly-qualified adjuncts with career and leadership experience. They’ll guide you through the curriculum with personalized attention to ensure you gain the necessary skills for career advancement upon graduation.
Aligned to the National Competencies of Teacher Leadership and the Teacher Leader Model Standards, the courses within the online M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership program provide educators the tools to become leaders in advocacy and innovation. Once you’ve completed the program, you’ll have the academic credential and leadership expertise to become a change agent in your school district and the educational community at large.
- Next Start Date:August 24, 2022
- Total Degree Credit Hours:30
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 16 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$499
- Major Credit Hours:30
WHO IS OUR ONLINE MASTER OF EDUCATION IN TEACHER LEADERSHIP FOR?
- Licensed teachers who are passionate about teaching and learning and want to become teacher leaders.
- Teachers seeking higher earning potential by obtaining a Master of Education degree.
- Teachers looking for a Master’s in Teacher Leadership online degree that provides the specific knowledge and skills needed to become an exceptional leader in the educational community.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Our online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership degree provides the skills you need to improve your students' learning experience and pursue leadership roles within education.
Corporate Training and Development Manager
After completing the Master's in Teacher Leadership online program, you'll be equipped with the skills to take your education career outside the classroom and into the corporate world. With a position as a corporate training and development manager, you'll be responsible for implementing training and skill development programs for staff members of a company.
The online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership degree will help you earn the credential necessary to pursue opportunities in instructional design. Employed by both schools and corporations, instructional designers develop educational materials to aid in training activities and academic courses.
To be considered for admission to the online M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Provide official academic transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended. If more than one institution has been attended, the cumulative GPA for all coursework attempted must be 2.8 or higher. In addition, the GPA earned at the institution at which the bachelor’s degree was awarded must be 2.8 or higher.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in the educational field.
- Be a licensed teacher or have a teaching position.
- Complete an application essay.
Conditional acceptance criteria:
- Students can enter and take two courses without a 2.8 GPA. Students must achieve a B or higher in each course to continue in the program.
- If an applicant does not have a teaching license, a full-time position teaching in a Pre-K–12 context will be required.
Tuition Cost & Financing
Tuition for the online Master of Education in Teacher Leadership program at Virginia Wesleyan University is $499 per credit hour. Financing options are available for those who qualify.
Now offering a 20% tuition reduction for teachers in schools within the following cities: Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton and Suffolk.
Course Information The online M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership program requires the completion of 10 courses at 3 credit hours each.
- EDUC 535 - Characteristics of and Adaptations for Exceptional Student Populations
- EDUC 540 - Classroom and Behavior Management
- EDUC 615 - Advanced Methods of Instruction
- EDUC 620 - Research Methods in Education
- EDUC 655 - Assessment for Equitable Instruction
- EDUC 670 - Professional Writing in Education
- Concentration Courses:
- EDUC 680 - Cultural Competence and Advocacy in Schools
- EDUC 681 - Professional Collaboration for Enhanced Leadership
- EDUC 682 - Educational Leaders as Change Agents
- EDUC 683 - Leadership in Educational Policy
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here's what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online M.Ed. You’ll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 16 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they’re available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you’re learning from home doesn’t mean you’re on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate masters degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Virginia Wesleyan University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).