B.A. in Psychology Overview
Earning your psychology degree online can prepare you for diverse career paths and graduate study. Virginia Wesleyan University’s online Bachelor of Arts in Psychology focuses on the science of psychology to develop skills for a variety of professional and academic contexts.
With our comprehensive curriculum, you will complete hands-on research projects. Course topics include cross-cultural psychology, lifespan development, clinical neuropsychology, ethics and more. You will use critical thinking to address real-world ethical and professional issues and interpret data to inform your decision-making.
Instructors in the psychology degree online program have dedicated their careers to teaching the science of psychology and they bring relevant field experience to the online classroom. They are experts in body image, gender studies, cognitive psychology and developmental psychology.
Whether you want to earn an online degree in psychology for careers in fields like human resources and human services or are looking to build a strong foundation of knowledge for continued education in counseling or clinical psychology, a degree from Virginia Wesleyan Online empowers you for success.
- Next Start Date:January 25, 2021
- Total Degree Credit Hours:128
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 2 years
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:44
Who is our online degree in psychology for?
- You want to begin your career in the rewarding field of psychology.
- You want to prepare for graduate-level study by earning your psychology degree online.
- You want to earn a versatile degree you can apply in a variety of professional paths.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Earning your psychology degree online prepares you for career paths including the following:
Marketing and Advertising
Studying psychology will give you valuable insight into human behavior and motivation. You can use this knowledge in marketing and advertising roles to understand the consumer.
When you complete VWU's psychology degree online, you will have organizational and industrial psychology knowledge you can apply as an HR generalist or specialist.
The skills and experience you gain in this program will help you meet client needs and improve the quality of life for many populations.
VWU's online degree in psychology is a great foundation for a future career as a counseling psychologist. You can also pursue jobs in substance abuse counseling or school counseling.
Becoming an advocate is a rewarding career path available to psychology graduates. You can specialize in victim advocacy, child advocacy, health advocacy and more.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Applicants who have not yet completed 12 college credits must submit an official high school transcript and SAT/ACT score, and an official college transcript from all colleges and universities previously attended. Applicants who have not taken an SAT or ACT may be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of high school coursework. Applicants who are not high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of GED test results.
- Applicants who have completed 12 college credits must submit official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Generally, individuals transferring to Virginia Wesleyan must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable psychology degree online programs in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
Course Information Each course is 4 credit hours.
- PSY 101 - Introduction to Psychology I (4)
- PSY 102 - Introduction to Psychology II (4)
- PSY 202 - Critical Thinking in Psychology (4)
- Select one of the following: (PSY 205 or PSY 373)
- PSY 205 - Lifespan Development in Psychology (4)
- PSY 373 - Child Development (4)
- Select one of the following: (PSY 321 or PSY 350)
- PSY 321 - Industrial/Organizational Psychology (4)
- PSY 350 - Psychology and the Law (4)
- Select one of the following: (PSY 313 or PSY 388)
- PSY 313 - Clinical Neuropsychology (4)
- PSY 388 - Cognition (4)
- Select one of the following: (PSY 362 or PSY 477)
- PSY 362 - Theories of Motivation (4)
- PSY 477 - History and Systems of Modern Psychology (4)
- PSY 351 - Psychology of Gender (4)
- PSY 495 - Ethics & Professional Issues (4)
- Two additional PSY courses at the 300/400 level (8)
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 2 years.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they’re available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you’re learning from home doesn’t mean you’re on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University. Other inquiries about Virginia Wesleyan University (such as admission requirements, financial aid, education programs, and student life) should be made directly to the University.