Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies Overview
For a successful career in environmental studies, you need a broad foundation of knowledge in key areas like science, economics and how humans fit into the natural world. Virginia Wesleyan University’s online environmental studies degree provides a well-rounded education to complement your passion for the issues facing our environment. By studying topics that emphasize the interdisciplinary nature of the field, you will be able to apply what you learn in the workplace.
Our online bachelor’s program emphasizes real-world skill development along with flexibility, so you can complete your education in a format that works for you. VWU’s expert instructors have years of experience in their fields, so you gain the knowledge you need to excel in your career after graduation. Whether you choose to pursue environmental science, corporate sustainability, conservation or another discipline, this degree program prepares you for a career that makes a positive impact on our world.
- Next Start Date:August 24, 2022
- Total Degree Credit Hours:128
- Program Length:As little as 12 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:48
Who is Our B.A. in Environmental Studies For?
- You are passionate about environmental issues.
- You are looking for a career that improves our relationship to the environment.
- You want to know more about how humans fit into the natural world.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Your online environmental studies degree prepares you for a number of career paths.
Addressing environmental concerns is an emerging trend in the business world. With your VWU degree, you can help companies and organizations balance their impact on the natural world.
Your VWU education helps you turn your passion for the environment into a successful career. You'll be prepared to use your knowledge of natural sciences to protect the environment and safeguard human health.
Protecting natural resources is a critical aspect of environmental studies. With an education from VWU, you'll gain the skills to manage and improve the use of land, water and more.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Applicants who have not yet completed 12 semester hours of college work must submit an official high school transcript and SAT/ACT score, and an official college transcript from all colleges and universities previously attended. Applicants who have not taken an SAT or ACT may be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of high school coursework. Applicants who are not high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of GED test results.
- Applicants who have successfully completed 12 or more semester hours of college work must submit official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Generally, individuals transferring to Virginia Wesleyan must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online environmental studies programs in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
Course Information All courses are needed for completion of the program. Each course is 4 credit hours.
- ENVS 106 - Humans, the Environment, and Sustainability
- MBE 201 - Macroeconomics
- MBE 202 - Microeconomics
- PHIL/ENVS 304 - Environmental Ethics
- POLS/ENVS 326 - Environmental Policy Analysis
- ENG/ENVS 410 - Environmental Writings
- EES 300 - Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- EES 320 - Energy and the Environment
- ENVS 470 - Internship in Environmental Studies
- Two of the following
- EES 132 - Environmental Geology (without laboratory)
- EES 210 - Meteorology
- ENVS 107 - Environmental Biology
- One of the following
- ENVS 420 - Topics in Sustainability
- ENG/ENVS 306 - Ecopoetry
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they're available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you're learning from home doesn't mean you're on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate masters degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Virginia Wesleyan University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).