B.A. in Digital Music Overview
Today’s music industry is dependent on the latest digital technology and resources, and our unique online program gives you the skills and experience you need to thrive in music production.
Built on a core of piano skills, advanced musicianship and music history, you will develop your dexterity with music technology, digital composition and sound recording. This online program facilitates your digital skills as you learn from expert faculty who are published in music.
Virginia Wesleyan Online gives you the opportunity to advance in the career you choose. Once you graduate, you could work in the entertainment industry, in education or in music therapy.
- Next Start Date:August 26, 2020
- Total Degree Credit Hours:120
- Program Length:Finish in 2 years without general education requirements
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:39
Who Is Our Music Technology Degree For?
- You are interested in approaching music using digital tools.
- You need a starting point for a career in music education or music therapy.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Pursue varied careers with your online music production degree.
A career in the entertainment industry may include work in a recording studio, on stage, at a record label or on the sets of films or television shows. Our online music degree gives you necessary skills in sound recording, mixing and editing. Sound engineers, recording technicians and recording engineers work in all parts of the entertainment industry.
VWU's online digital music degree is a starting point for careers in education. You will acquire hands-on skills useful for teaching music courses in high school or college.
More industries are discovering the power of music to improve physical and psychological health. Your digital music degree could become a foundational part of music therapy jobs in hospitals, clinics, community health centers, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, private practices and more.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Applicants who have not yet completed 12 semester hours of college work must submit an official high school transcript and SAT/ACT score, and an official college transcript from all colleges and universities previously attended. Applicants who have not taken an SAT or ACT may be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of high school coursework. Applicants who are not high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of GED test results.
- Applicants who have successfully completed 12 or more semester hours of college work must submit official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Generally, individuals transferring to Virginia Wesleyan must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online digital music programs in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
Course Information Each course is 3 credit hours.
- Piano Skills Core
- APMU 243 - Keyboard Harmony I
- APMU 244 - Keyboard Harmony II
- Musicianship Core
- MUS 101 - Basic Musicianship I
- MUS 102 - Basic Musicianship II
- MUS 225 - Intermediate Musicianship I
- MUS 226 - Intermediate Musicianship II
- MUS 325 - Advanced Musicianship I
- Music History Core
- MUS 314 - Music History II
- MUS 319 - Popular Music History and Analysis
- Digital Music Courses
- MUS 254 - Introduction to Music Technology
- MUS 355 - Digital Composition Workshop
- MUS 356 - Sound Recording
- MUS 456 - Digital Music Capstone
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they’re available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you’re learning from home doesn’t mean you’re on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University. Other inquiries about Virginia Wesleyan University (such as admission requirements, financial aid, education programs, and student life) should be made directly to the University.