Bachelor's in Comprehensive Liberal Studies Overview
In the modern workplace, interdisciplinary skills can help you achieve more. Virginia Wesleyan University’s online comprehensive liberal studies degree gives you a broad-based, customizable education that lets you study what interests you most. You’ll select a program of study during your first term, creating the educational experience that’s right for you. The curriculum for this degree emphasizes the variety that is fundamental to liberal arts education, allowing you to design your own degree. Coursework options include topics in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and more, preparing you for your chosen career path.
This online undergraduate program combines a real-world education with a flexible format that allows you to study on your schedule. Our experts have years of relevant experience to prepare you to excel. No matter what your goals are, VWU’s comprehensive liberal studies program will give you the credentials you need for success in the workplace and beyond.
- Next Start Date:March 23, 2020
- Total Degree Credit Hours:128
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 12 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:44
Who is Our B.A. in Comprehensive Liberal Studies For?
- You want to fast-track your liberal arts degree.
- You are interested in several areas of study.
- You’re looking for an interdisciplinary education.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Your online comprehensive liberal studies degree puts you on the path to a number of career paths in fields like social sciences, natural sciences, mathematics, communications and more. Because you can choose the coursework that aligns most with your goals, this program allows you to design a degree for the job you want.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Applicants who have not yet completed 12 semester hours of college work must submit an official high school transcript and SAT/ACT score, and an official college transcript from all colleges and universities previously attended. Applicants who have not taken an SAT or ACT may be admitted on the basis of an evaluation of high school coursework. Applicants who are not high school graduates may be admitted on the basis of GED test results.
- Applicants who have successfully completed 12 or more semester hours of college work must submit official college transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Generally, individuals transferring to Virginia Wesleyan must present a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online tuitions in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
- CLS 101 Liberal Studies Plan of Study (Contract, Goals, and Initial Essay) (to be completed in 1st semester)
- Lower Level Arts & Humanities select 1 course MUS 120; CLAS 210; ARTH 232; ENVS 106
- Lower Level Social Sciences* select 1 course CJ 100, 210, 290; POLS 112, 265; ISP 101; SOC 100; SOSCI 200
- Mathematics & Natural Sciences select 1 of the following: MATH 104, 210; CS 112
- Laboratory Science Select one of the following: BIO 100, ENVS/BIO 107 ; CHEM 109
- Earth and Environmental Sciences Select one of the following: EES 132, 133, 210, 300, 320, 410
- Upper Level Humanities select 2 courses COMM 325; ENG 306, 317; ENVS 304
- Upper Level Social Sciences* select 2 courses CJ 300, 301, 348, 350, 387; PSY 321, 350, 388, 477; POLS 326; REC 393; SOSCI 400
- Upper-Level Elective Course* two additional 300/400 level courses from different schools
- CLS 401 Liberal Studies Final Reflective Essay (in last semester)
- Please note that students opting to fulfill their online COMLS major by using the new D. Henry Watts School of Professional Studies as one of their three Schools have the following options for online courses. These may be substituted for either the Humanities Lower Level/Upper-Level courses listed above or the Social Sciences Lower Level/Upper-Level courses listed above.
- Lower Level Professional Studies select 1 course MBE 100, 202, 203, 204; SW 201
- Upper-Level Professional Studies select 2 courses MBE 301, 315, 316, 322, 406; ; SW 302, 336, 400, 450
- Explore general education requirements
*No more than 2 courses may come from the same discipline. Additional courses may be required as prerequisites for specific courses selected above. A VWU advisor may permit course substitutions, such that no more than 2 courses are selected from the same rubric (department). This major requires a 2.5 GPA in major, unlike the 2.0 GPA in major required for other programs.
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 90 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they're available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you're learning from home doesn't mean you're on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is one of more than 90 senior colleges and universities in the United States recognized as United Methodist-related by the University Senate of the General Board of Higher Education of the United Methodist Church. Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University.