Bachelor's in Comprehensive Liberal Studies Overview
In the modern workplace, interdisciplinary skills can help you achieve more. Virginia Wesleyan University’s online comprehensive liberal studies degree gives you a broad-based, customizable education that lets you study what interests you most. You’ll select a program of study during your first term, creating the educational experience that’s right for you. The curriculum for this degree emphasizes the variety that is fundamental to liberal arts education, allowing you to design your own degree. Coursework options include topics in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and more, preparing you for your chosen career path.
This online undergraduate program combines a real-world education with a flexible format that allows you to study on your schedule. Our experts have years of relevant experience to prepare you to excel. No matter what your goals are, VWU’s comprehensive liberal studies program will give you the credentials you need for success in the workplace and beyond.
- Next Start Date:January 28, 2019
- Total Degree Credit Hours:128
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 12 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:44
Who is Our B.A. in Comprehensive Liberal Studies For?
- You want to fast-track your liberal arts degree.
- You are interested in several areas of study.
- You’re looking for an interdisciplinary education.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Your online comprehensive liberal studies degree puts you on the path to a number of career paths in fields like social sciences, natural sciences, mathematics, communications and more. Because you can choose the coursework that aligns most with your goals, this program allows you to design a degree for the job you want.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Provide official academic transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended.
- Have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours combined from colleges and universities attended, with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Note: individuals with less than 30 credit hours earned are encouraged to speak with an enrollment counselor, as they may be admissible based upon a review of courses completed and grades earned.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online tuitions in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
- Liberal Arts Plan of Study (Contract, Goals and Initial Essay)
- Upper Level Humanities - COMM 325; ENG 306
- Lower Level Humanities - Select 1 course - MUS 120; CLAS 210; ARTH 232
- Upper Level Social Sciences* - Select 3 courses - CJ 300, 301, 350, 387, 489; PSY 321, 350, 388
- MBE 301, 315, 316, 322, 406, 407; POLS 326
- Lower Level Math & Natural Sciences - Select 1 of the following: - MATH 104, 210
- Select one of the following - EES 130, 132
- BIO 100
- ENVS/ENG 410 - Senior Integrative Experience
- Liberal Arts Final Reflective Essay
*No more than 2 courses may come from the same discipline. Additional courses may be required as prerequisites for specific courses selected above. A VWU advisor may permit course substitutions, such that no more than 2 courses are selected from the same rubric (department). This major requires a 2.5 GPA in major, unlike the 2.0 GPA in major required for other programs.
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 92 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 1 year of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they're available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you're learning from home doesn't mean you're on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is one of more than 90 senior colleges and universities in the United States recognized as United Methodist-related by the University Senate of the General Board of Higher Education of the United Methodist Church. Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University.