Bachelor’s in Social Science Overview
Virginia Wesleyan University’s online bachelor’s in social science can help you put your existing credits toward completing your degree, so you can get the job you want. This flexible, affordable degree gives you a strong liberal arts foundation, and our generous credit transfer policy allows you to earn your degree faster.
Our online social science program focuses on interdisciplinary discussion and learning, and emphasizes flexibility so that you can fit your education into your already busy life. You’ll engage with highly qualified faculty on your own schedule and experience an online social science degree program with the breadth and social context you need to get the most out of your education.
This concentration allows you to complete coursework in multiple concentration areas so that you can specialize your education for your specific professional goals. Choose from concentrations in business, criminal justice, psychology and social welfare to design a degree that gives you the skills and education you need to advance your career.
- Next Start Date:October 24, 2018
- Total Degree Credit Hours:128
- Program Length:Finish in as little as 12 months
- Cost Per Credit Hour:$399
- Major Credit Hours:46
Who Is Our B.A. in Social Science For?
- You’ve started an undergraduate degree, but don’t yet have the credits you need to finish one.
- You want to get more out of your career.
- You want to learn more about the society you live in and how to thrive within it.
Start Your Journey
Career Outcomes Your B.A. in Social Science empowers you to pursue a number of career paths.
Critical thinking skills are in high demand in business, and a social science degree from Virginia Wesleyan University can help you learn those skills. Learn to work as part of a team and to solve problems head-on.
Nonprofit organizations need talented individuals to help further their goals. VWU’s social science degree can give you the skills required to work at a variety of nonprofit organizations.
Sometimes those in government at the local level can have the biggest impact on the people around them. VWU’s social science degree gives you the knowledge and background you need to pursue a career in local government.
Mental Health Support
Your understanding of human behavior and the pressures and dynamics of society can help provide a foundation for a career in mental health support. Help people deal with their issues and overcome their problems with a social science degree from VWU.
Understanding human behavior and motives can help you understand how to help companies sell products as a market researcher. VWU’s social science degree gives you the understanding of people and society you need to perform top-notch market research.
Bringing communities together for the common good is one of the cornerstones of the social science field. Your VWU degree prepares you to make a difference while gaining skills for career success.
To be considered for admission to an online undergraduate program at Virginia Wesleyan University, students must:
- Complete our online application.
- Provide official academic transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended.
- Have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours combined from colleges and universities attended, with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Note: individuals with less than 30 credit hours earned are encouraged to speak with an enrollment counselor, as they may be admissible based upon a review of courses completed and grades earned.
Tuition Costs & Financing
Virginia Wesleyan University has one of the most affordable online social science programs in the region, at only $399 per credit hour. Financial aid and financing options are available for those who qualify.
Course Information Eleven courses are required for the Social Science major, plus SOCSCI 200 (2 credits). You'll complete one of the tracks below in its entirety, plus choose two courses from each of two additional tracks. Your adviser can help you select courses to meet the major's requirements.
- SOCSCI 200 - Integrated Learning in Social Science
- SOCSCI 400 - Senior Seminar: Social Science
- Business Track
- MBE 201 - Introductory Macroeconomics
- MBE 301 - Principles of Management: A Project Approach
- MBE 316 - Marketing Principles
- MBE 333 - International Business
- MBE 400 - Seminar in Management Ethics
- Criminal Justice Track
- CJ 100 - Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CJ 301 - Criminology
- CJ 350 - Introduction to Social Research
- CJ 387 - Criminal Law
- CJ 489 - Senior Integrative Assessment
- Psychology Track
- PSY 321 - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PSY 350 - Psychology and the Law
- PSY 373 - Child Development
- PSY 388 - Cognition
- PSY 477 - History and Systems of Modern Psychology
- Social Welfare Track
- SW 201 - Introduction to Social Work
- SW 302 - Legislation, Policy and Administration
- SW 336 - Lifespan Development and Behavior
- SW 400 - Social Work Methods with Groups
- SW 450 - Research Methods in Social Work
- SW 385 - Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency
- POLS 326 - Environmental Policy Analysis
Why Virginia Wesleyan Online?
More than 92 percent of our alumni are working or in graduate school within 6 months of graduation.
Highly Qualified Faculty
90 percent of our professors have attained the highest degree in their fields.
Why Study Online? Learning online is different from working in a classroom setting. Here’s what you can expect.
Structure Your Week
You have control over when you work on your online degree. You'll probably spend between 18 and 24 hours per week on coursework in order to complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
Talk to Your Instructor
You have access to your instructor when you need help, via Blackboard. Your online instructors will let you know when they’re available to answer your questions, help you through difficult tasks and point you in the right direction.
Work With Classmates
Just because you’re learning from home doesn’t mean you’re on your own. Other students will be participating in your class discussions, and you can connect with them on Blackboard when you need to. Your fellow classmates can be a great source of ideas and understanding.
Virginia Wesleyan University is a military friendly school. In addition to providing veteran support services to our students, we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. With this program, you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to pay for all VWU tuition and fees.
Virginia Wesleyan University is one of more than 90 senior colleges and universities in the United States recognized as United Methodist-related by the University Senate of the General Board of Higher Education of the United Methodist Church. Virginia Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University.